Friday, May 20, 2011

Link Love: Supplies

Photo: MOMA
I'm always looking for places to get supplies both for myself and for the classroom. Michaels, Joann's, and Hobby Lobby all have good basics and offer 20-40% off coupons, but the following places are less crafty/more art specific:
  • Cheap Joe's Art Stuff - I started buying painting supplies from them when I was doing my undergrad in Michigan's upper peninsula. It was pre-internet and we ordered via catalog. They still run great deals.
  • Dick Blick - Blick stores are open to the public, however, you have to have an account if you want to order online. Their house brand of products are good quality and they give school discounts.
  • Nasco - This catalog and web site are for art teachers. They recruit heavily to students.
  • School Specialties - Not art specific, however, their basic supplies like markers, glue, and pencils are much cheaper than the alternative.
  • Utrecht - I'm lucky enough to have a Utrecht store in my area so they're my go-to art supply store. They're great because they run good coupons for the home artist, offer school discounts, and produce high-quality house branded supplies.
  • Wicked Good Farm - I was lucky enough to do a fibers/felting unit while student teaching thanks to my amazing friend Lee at Wicked Good Farm. She sent gorgeous white wool roving that was perfect -- clean from all debris, combed, and it didn't smell like farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment